Note to Darlene and others helping build this page:
- This page is not generally visible while we build it. Once it's ready, we'll add it to the main menu, under the Resources menu item.
- Here's the plan:
- First, recognize that Restaurant information is very dynamic -- they come and go, change menu and prices, change hours, etc. Therefore, we should try to LINK to the most up-to-date information -- either their website or, more likely, a Google Map entry for them. I'm going to use the Google MY MAPS feature (example below) to do this.
- Secondly, create a LIST of nearby restaurants. Here is a google spreadsheet where we can add information dynamically -- admin access only.
- Third, create some way to FILTER or otherwise select restaurants of interest. If we can help them filter it down to a handful of considerations, they can make a final choice easily
- To add value for our Las Mañanitas users, we need to do one or more of these four things to the list of all restaurants:
- CURATE the list, and not put anything terrible that we can't recommend on the list (or at least "flag" it as "not recommended");
- ADD LINKS of value, e.g, to trip advisor or to the restaurant's website;
- TAG the restaurant with whatever dimensions we think is useful (cuisine, price, ambiance, star-rating)
- ADD RECOMMENDATIONS from other Las Mañanitas Owners -- this will be hardest thing to manage; let's talk.
- I think the right way is to offer visitors two different user interfaces
- A MAP -- like the one below that Debi is developing for CaliforniaTouristGuide.com, or
- a SPREADSHEET they can download and use to sort/select as they wish
==== End of note to Darlene and others; now this is draft text of the page itself, using Debi's map as a placeholder until we can build our own =======================
Owners who visit only periodically and renters who are new often ask, "What's a good restaurant nearby?" Often they'd like to filter by cuisine (Asian, Mexican, Italian, etc.) and maybe expense (cheap, average, expensive) or ambiance (opulent, plain, take-out-ish).
We have created a list of nearby restaurants and offer two ways to see them -- a spreadsheet you and download and sort/filter if you know how. Or use this map, and be sure to click on this icon to open the map