In order to create a Plan, it's best you know where you are going and how best to get there. The best way to get there is to start with "the Big Picture" ... the MISSION of the organization.
See MBO for an HOA for the journey we took in getting to an operating plan for Las Mañanitas HOA, A.C.
* * * * * * *
Mission, Vision, Values, Goals and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs):
- Mission: to secure a safe, [fiscally] sound, beautiful, comfortable community.
- Vision: an upscale residential community, NOT a resort.[1A]
- Values: 1) integrity, 2) transparency, 3) consideration
- Goals and KPIs:
- Safe - zero crimes against property or persons within Las Mañanitas.
- Sound - Capital reserves ≥ those required by audit or law; HOA fees ≤ peer properties.
- Beautiful - NPS as evaluated by Owners' survey.
- Comfortable - NPS as evaluated by Owners' survey.
- Community - NPS as evaluated by Owners' survey.
- Summary KPI: Resale prices that are higher than those of peer properties. (This reflects the attractiveness of Las Mañanitas as a desirable place to own.)
 As of 2021, Las Mañanitas already exists as a safe, comfortable, beautiful and fiscally sound property. Any action we take or approve must secure these attributes along four primary dimensions, in this priority order:
- Safe: within Las Mañanitas, neither anyone nor any property is victimized by anyone or by fire, storm or earthquake. KPIs = zero crime, zero property loss.
- Sound: Reasonable HOA fees, carefully spent. And capital reserves that exceed audit recommendations and legal requirements. KPIs = FMV of units being sold, HOA fees compared to similar properties and capital reserves > audit.
- Comfortable: Las Mañanitas is a refuge, a place to relax, unwind, recharge. It’s not party central. It’s not Spring Break or a place to see and be seen. It’s also not a place with unresolved, interpersonal tensions/conflicts between neighbors. Let’s make things easy while we are here. KPIs – Resident Exit surveys.
- Beautiful: Lush landscaping; attractive architecture; high-quality common area furnishings; and clean common areas. KPIs – Resident Exit surveys
[1A] Details of Residential, not Resort.
 Integrity – “if you ain’t got honesty, you ain’t got nuttin’.” WYSIWYG. No side deals, no corruption. The highest standards of honesty in all intra-community transactions.
 Transparency – Full disclosure of all non-confidential HOA information to Owners and open decision-making.
 Consideration – all communications among Owners and members of this HOA are requested to be “considerate” – in both senses of that term: fully thought through, and respectful of the other party. This applies between neighbors and to/from the Board or Community Manager.